Ok, we’ve just wrapped up Senran Celebrations month. Woo that was a ride and a half and I loved it. So to get back into the regular flow, let’s ease back in with a brand new tag post. Special thanks to the wonderful Chapel Orahamm of Kavordian Library for the nomination. Now what are the rules of this so called Mystery Blogger tag?
The follow explanation and rules are directly from Okoto Enigma’s blog post so as to not miss anything.
“Mystery Blogger Award” is an award for amazing bloggers with ingenious posts. Their blog not only captivates; it inspires and motivates. They are one of the best out there, and they deserve every recognition they get. This award is also for bloggers who find fun and inspiration in blogging; and they do it with so much love and passion.”
– Okoto Enigma
- Put the award logo/image on your blog
- List the rules.
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
- You have to nominate 10 – 20 people
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question (specify)
- Share a link to your best post(s)
So with the rules laid out, my keyboard at the ready and my brain freshly rejuvenated after a month of talking about busty waifu ninja’s, let’s get started with this mysterious tag!
3 Things About Myself
- I am an avid player of Yugioh. I don’t really do much in the way of competitive play, but I take the game pseudo seriously and am currently in the process of becoming an official tournament judge. For those who play Yugioh, my top 5 decks are.
- Sharks/Rank 4 WATER
- I have an unhealthy obsession with BBQ Sauce and anything BBQ related. On my first trip to Florida, me and my dad had half racks of BBQ Ribs from Ponderosa and a BBQ pulled pork sandwich from an Old-town restaurant and since then I’ve always gone for the menu option that has BBQ as a name. BBQ Ribs are my go to dish when at TGI’s and if there’s an opportunity to put BBQ sauce on something, I’ll do it.
- Before I was a blogger/reviewer/…professional Godzilla nerd? I was a fiction writer. I wrote typically fantasy stories and even penned a full 5 book series called Dancing Shadows. It didn’t get published but the original pen and paper versions are still in my house. What made them special to me was how I didn’t type a single thing, all was written by hand and spanned over 3 A4 lined paper pads. I really should redo them it’s been like 4 years…
What major event made you realize you wanted to share what you do on your blog?
So, there’s too defining events that sparked the Average Joe Reviews blog, one a personal moment and the other an outside event. The event was at my workplace, where my, let’s just say less than competent, boss was trying to rope me into web design, something I was not qualified to do. When they suggested using WordPress, they were shut down by other people, but the idea stuck with me. When I learnt about WordPress and how easy it was to use I decided this would be perfect for a blog. The personal reason was that I was suffering severe writers block. I’d previously written fictional stories, but had stopped for a few years. This blog let me get involved with a new type of writing that would keep me hooked and would be ever changing and interesting. Hence, with the platform and motivation combined, Average Joe Reviews was created.
What is your top piece of advice for your 15 year old self and for yourself 25 years from today?
Pretty much I’d give both 15 year old me and me in 25 years the same advice, don’t let the world get to you. As a kid I really did not respond well to things I did not like, I was super paranoid and afraid that people would not like me or turn on me at the slightest infraction. Honestly doing this blog and being able to write about things I love helps me get over this sort of fear and is what really adds to my love for writing. I hope that this improvement continues 25 into the future.
What is your YouTube guilty pleasure to watch?
I have an unhealthy with ASMR channels. Of all the different types of channels I’m subscribed to on YouTube, it’s between gaming and ASMR as my most subscribed genre of YouTube content. ASMR has always helped me sleep and relax, in fact I make sure to listen to ASMR every night before sleep and I find I have a much deeper and more enjoyable sleep. In terms of my favourite ASMR channels…there’ a few. ASMR Cherry Crush, Catplant ASMR, Seafoam Kittens ASMR, Dr T. ASMR and Daisy Banaisy ASMR.
What is the most pressing issue in our world today and what do you do daily to contribute to fixing it?
I usually try and shy away from real world topics in my posts, also my posts practically never reflect any real world ideals. We live in a world now where people are afraid to present their ideals and interests to people for fear of ridicule, but I want to help change that stigma. If there was anything I hope my blog encourages is that you should always do your best to follow what you love. I’m a self proclaimed dweeb and Godzilla obsessed nerd, but here I am presenting my dumb ideas to the world and I love it. I love how this blog gives me the ability to reach people hearts and minds and give them something to read, it feels very fulfilling and is a super gratifying feeling.
Give me your favorite symbolism from a book or anime you’ve read/watched and why it has impacted you.
I usually don’t go looking for symbolism in my media, but when I find it, I dissect it like a mad scientist. Now this one might be a little weird, but I find myself intrigued by the symbolism in Highschool DxD. Now I know what you’re thinking Highschool DxD you think it’s just fanservice and waifus, but actually this anime takes a lot of heavy inspiration from old Christian texts. The demon house names of the 72 Keys are all actually names of demons from the Ars Goetia with the same names. Gremory, Sitri and Phenex, all names shared by Kings Princes and Dukes of Hell as depicted in the Ars Goetia from the Lesser Key of Solomon. I’m also a fan of Danmachi and it’s references to other gods like Hestia, Demeter and Freya from Greek and Norse mythology. Both DxD and Danmachi helped influence and feed into my love for all things mythological and mystical, a major hobby of mine. Reading old religious transcripts online like the Lesser Key of Solomon and old Norse tales of their larger than life deities might seem like an odd hobby…and it is, but it really does show the detail that goes into anime like DxD and Danmachi.
Best 3 Posts
- Senran Kagura Shinovi Master full review: This was the first time I reviewed an anime in its entirety episode by episode. This post specifically ties all my episode reviews together so technically this is 13 posts in one, but this pick is one of my proudest since it was the most committed I’d been to the blog at the time. I’d never reviewed a series as it was airing and it was fun to watch each episode and review them the next day.
- Is Nostalgia Killing the Media Industry: This was probably the deepest I got in terms of analysis for a discussion. It was either this or my two part discussion on writing OP characters, but I gotta give it to this post. This post allowed me to take a more serious approach to the media industry and express
- Happy Birthday Godzilla: It’s been about a year since this post came out, and to this day it stands as my most popular post by a gigantic margin. Almost every day the post receives views…but I don’t know why. Call it chance, coincidence, fate…whatever, this post has become the one I’m proudest of, if anything for it’s legacy.
- What franchise do you feel has had the biggest impact on you as a person?
- What anime do you think has the best Opening and Ending tracks? You can have 2 separate anime, one for opening/one for ending, or one anime representing both.
- What anime franchise do you feel had the biggest influence on you?
- What is your go-to comfort food?
- Is Die Hard a Christmas movie? (This is the weird one :P)
Well that brings us to the end of the Mysterious Blogger tag. It felt great to get back into the tagging game and I’m glad I was picked for such a fun tag. I look forward to hearing peoples answers, and once again, HUGE thank you to Chapel Orahamm for the nomination.
Thank you for reading I hope you enjoyed it. If you did please consider leaving a like and following my blog for updates on future posts. Also follow me on twitter @joe_reviews for further updates and general nonsense. Till next tine.