Back at it with the Tags, this one once again from the fabulous Yomu, and this one is for The Brotherhood Awards. Quick note to Yomu, my comments haven’t been appearing in your comment section as far as I’ve seen, I commented on the linked post to thank you for the nomination and it didn’t appear. With that PSA out of the way, what is the Brotherhood Award?
What is the Brotherhood?
According to Yomu, the Brotherhood of World Bloggers is an elite group of bloggers and some of the best bloggers the world has to offer. Now why I, and Average Joe, would be nominated is beyond me, but I thank Yomu for the nomination and shall wear the metaphorical hat of the brotherhood with pride. But what are the rules of the Brotherhood Award?
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the questions sent to you
- Nominate around 10 bloggers.
- Create your own set of questions for your nominees and display the rules.
So yes, these are the rules, and I have the questions below, now let’s get this underway.
What is Your Favorite Fantasy Anime?
As of right now, my favorite is How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. I know it’s a bit of an odd one, but fantasy anime isn’t really my thing. I mean I’ve watched Danmachi and the like, but Slice of Life is more my thing. That being said I was drawn to How Not to Summon a Demon Lord because it reminded me of Dungeons and Dragons, a game I love to play. The show does have some odd fanservice moments, but I like them in an ironic sense, where I just sit there and laugh at them. But past the ‘PLOT’, you have a story that isn’t too seriously paced and has an abundant array of really nice characters. Diablo is funny in his over the top persona and his knowledge of MMO’s is a hilarious plot device, which Rem and Sherra are delightful companions. Also SHERRA IS BEST GIRL AND YOU CANNOT TELL ME OTHERWISE LEST YOU INCUR MY WRATH! *deep breath* So yeah, How Not to Summon a Demon Lord is a funny show that I’lll be doing a full review of when the series ends.
What is your go-to low-budget meal?
Bit of an odd question, but I have to say it’s a Bacon stuffed Jacket Potato Cheese Bake. The meal is really simple the stuff to make it can be bout in a somewhat substantial quality so it can last you. The procedure is simple.
- Get around 2 jacket potatoes, prick some holes in it with a fork and microwave them for around 5-10 mins. (You can coat them in oil and apply a little bit of salt if you want)
- While that’s going on, you can take a few rashes (or strips for you Americans) of Bacon and fry them in a pan until it turns crispy, usually at the 5 minute mark.
- Let the Potato’s cool down a bit and then cut them in half. Then scoop out the insides while keeping the skin in tact, leaving you with a bowl of potato flesh and 4 semispheres of Potato skins.
- Cut up the bacon into little pieces and mash the potato before mixing the bacon pieces into it. While doing this add a little bit of grated cheese into the mix.
- Once that’s done, scoop the mashed bacon and cheese mix and add it to the skins, like filling up a small bowl.
- Put the skins in an oven dish and sprinkle some cheese on the tops of each one.
- Leave in the over for about 5 minutes to allow a slight melt on the cheese.
What is Your Favorite Anime Song
I’m honestly torn on this one, so instead I shall provide 3 answers so as to satisfy my sporadic mind;
- Maximum the Hormone – F (Dragon Ball): This song is one of them songs where you listen to it and just wonder ‘why am I listening to this?’ This song is extremely heavy and consists largely of obscene Japanese screeching with Frieza being the main focus of the song. But when you read the translations, you hear the song talking about the actions of Dictators and the misery wrought upon their subjects, Frieza serving as the allegory for these people. It’s a clever metaphor for me and it adds to the dread of the Galactic Emperor Frieza. If you aren’t into heavy, and I mean REALLY HEAVY, metal, skip this one bu if you’re fair game then give it a shot.
- Man With a Mission – My Hero (Inuyashiki Last Hero): Of all the anime openings I’ve heard, only My Hero has been the one I’ve never skipped. This song has wonderful beats, profound lyrics and an absolutely empowering chorus. Add to this a collection of unique visuals in the opening animation, and you have a song that really leaves an impact on your mind.
- Deep Crimson OP – Hanzo Girls (Senran Kagura: Deep Crimson): Ok, this is more of a video game, but it’s in anime style so it counts! This song has a lot of mixed elements. It combines elements from electronic, traditional Japanese instruments and a whole heaping of metal and rock, leaving a very varied song. The vocals are full of variety, the solo is absolutely rad and it has a satisfying end chord. Senran Kagura is one of my favourite franchises, and while many think it’s for the ‘art style’, one of the main pulls is its music because it’s honestly a treat to listen to.
What is the Most Ambitious / Creative Anime (In Your Opinion) That You Have Ever Seen, Good or Bad?
Inuyashiki Last Hero. This anime to me is so unqiue that it honestly stands out about all other robot anime for me. Robots are nothing ew to anime, but the idea of giving such incredible fire power to a mellow and meek old man is one that is really clever. The basic plot is that Inuyashiki is killed by a crash-landing alien ship, and they rebuild his body using only weaponry. This turns him into a walking armory, all while a psychopath teenager also receives these powers. The angle this show has on society is one that is really cruel and mean-spirited, with the youth depicted as nothing but vapid, selfish and violent thugs. The villain is despicable, his humanity is so wavering that you don’t know what to think of him. The anime is amazing, akin to Ghost in the Shell. But the uniqueness comes from its premise, giving such a powerful ability to an old man is really clever, and I will be sure to review this anime in full when I finish watching it.
In the format of a 300 word essay, what is the worst anime character you have had the displeasure of watching?
Caulifla from Dragon Ball Super. This character is the worst part of the show for me, for a few reasons and was one of the reasons I dropped the show for a good few months before the finale. So Caulifla’s story is that she’s a Universe 6 Saiyan who joins the Tournament of Power, but since everyone around her could vaporise her by farting at this point in the series she becomes a Super Saiyan within the span of one training session. For me, she made Super Saiyan a joke, she made it something you can achieve if you just try hard enough. This to me is akin to what star wars fans feel like about Midichlorians and their connection to The Force. Super Saiyan is something you earn through sacrifice and pain, the loss of a friend, the loss of temper or as an act of desperation in the face of terror. Almost every Super Saiyan in the series, except Goten and Kid Trunks, all suffered for their powerup, they lost something or lashed out in rage. But Caulifla just nailed it in one shot, and she didn’t even get mad, she just squatted for about 5 minutes and BOOM, Super Saiyan. Add to this that she’s a boring meathead with any compassion only for the equally annoying Kale, and she has nothing likable about her. Two other things I wanna mention is that Toriyama created her just because Kale needed another character to bounce off of, so she’s nothing but an afterthought, which explains her dull as bricks personality. My final point is that she doesn’t even make it to the end of the arc, she has to fuse with Kale to become Kefla, showing once and for all how little effort was put into writing her.
My Nominations and Questions
Now for my nominations
I know it said around 10, but I don’t really know anyone else these questions can apply to. Not to mention Edgyanimeteen and Arsene_Lucifer were also nominated by Yomu. Apologies if you’ve previously been tagged.
Now for the questions I present to you all;
- What western produced cartoon do you think would work best in an anime format and why? Things like Steven Universe, Miraculous Ladybug and Huntik.
- What novel series (western of manga) do you want adapting into a movie or show? Like The Hunger Games, Edge of Tomorrow and almost every anime we currently have.
- What candy is your favorite and why? Mine’s Warheads because… I like the pain I guess?
- What fictional universe would you most want to live in and why? P.S. You would be integral to that universe like a MC or SC. Mine would be How not to Summon a Demon Lord because ELVES! Also it’s the closest thing I can think of to Dungeons and Dragons.
- In an essay of no more than 300 words, if there were any anime you wish had been written differently, what would you have written? I’ll find this one interesting.
- Who’s your Waifu or Husbando and why? Look I had no more ideas ok?!
And with that, there’s my questions, I look forward to your answers.
Thank you for reading I hope you enjoyed it, this one was a lotta fun. If you did enjoy it please consider leaving a like and following my blog for updates on future blog posts. Also follow me on twitter @joe_reviews for further updates and general nonsense. Till next time.